Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Translate this page

For Braille, large print or audio, please contact us.

Diary Dates 



20th - Harvest Festival 2.30pm

23rd-27th Half Term

30th - School Re-opens



9th - Open Evening for September 2018 Admission


16th  - Flu Vaccinations (Rec/Y1/2/3/4)

17th - Children in Need

29th/30th - Book Fair



2nd - Christmas Fair

18th - Christmas Parties

19th/20th - Nativity 6pm Leake Church

 21st - Children's Christmas Dinner

22nd - Leake Church 1pm

22nd - School Finishes 2pm





Special Education Needs and Disability - SEND


What is SEN?

Some children find learning more challenging than others and may need extra support to achieve their full potential.

For example, they might have difficulty with:

  • Expressing themselves
  • Interacting with others
  • Reading, writing and maths
  • Following lessons
  • Controlling their emotions
  • Sensory or physical mobility

These difficulties can be barriers to learning. As a school we assess all children to identify their strengths and needs and how we can best support them.

Children who need extra help with their learning may receive additional support under one of the following categories:

  • SEN support
  • An EHC plan/statement of SEN

What is SEN support?

SEN support describes the additional help which assists children to access the curriculum.

This might include:

  • Extra help in the classroom
  • Small group or one-to-one learning
  • Support from specialists such as speech and language therapists

The new SEN support category replaces the previous categories of School Action and School Action Plus.

We will work with you, as parents, when agreeing what support we will provide and what it will achieve.


What are EHC plans?

If your child has more complex needs, he/she might already have a statement of SEN or be assessed for an EHC plan.

EHC plans are replacing statements of SEN, which will be phased out by 31st March 2018.


We will use the 'wave' system to determine the type of support best suited to each child:


Wave 1 - High quality, differentiated teaching (for all children)

Wave 2 - Quality teaching, plus extra short-term support (for children making slower progress)

Wave 3 - SEN Support: additional long term, individualised support (for children making less progress than their classmates)

Wave 4 - EHC plan: for children with more complex needs


Contact the school

If you have any questions about the support your child is receiving, or about SEN more generally, please speak to your child’s class teacher or our SENCO.  


See our SEND and Inclusion policy

The school’s SEND and Inclusion policy sets out more detailed information about the support available for children with SEN and disabilities.

You can access the policy on our website. 


External links

The government’s SEND Code of Practice and a related guide for parents have more information about the topics outlined in this leaflet:


Local Offer:

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND.) They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, whatever their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. The Local Authority has published its Local Offer for parents/carers of children who have Special Educational Needs or a disability (SEND) and all those who support children with additional needs. This can be found at  local-offer  


The world of Special Educational Needs is full of jargon! Please find below our attempt to explain some of the acronyms you may come across. Acronym/ Abbreviation Meaning

  • SEND Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
  • SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator
  • NYCC North Yorkshire County Council
  • TA Teaching Assistant
  • EMS Enhanced Mainstream School Based across the county to support schools in a variety of ways
  • EP Educational Psychologist
  • CAN-Do Comprehensive Assessment of Needs document – resource allocation system to be completed as part of an assessment request
  • SpLD Specific Learning Difficulties C+I Communication and Interaction
  • SEMH Social and Emotional Mental Health (formerly Emotional and Behaviour) SENDIASS Special
  • Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Services (formerly Parent Partnership Services) EHCP Education Health and Care Plan (being transferred from Statement of Special Educational Needs)
  • EHCAR Education Health and Care Plan Assessment Request
  • DCD Developmental Coordination Disorder
  • ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • FASD Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
  • ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  • POSCH Parents of Special Children – a charity/support group for parents and carers of children with SEN (
  • NYPACT The parent and carer forum for North Yorkshire
  • ELSA Emotional Literacy Support Assistant SSA Specialist Services Autism (formerly ASCOSS)
  • IES Inclusive Education Service
  • SPA Single Point of Access (means of requesting additional support for children)
  • SALT Speech and Language Therapy
  • OT Occupational Therapist
  • CAMHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
  • CDC Child Development Centre (based on Brompton Road, Northallerton)